Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hmmm...

We are entering a different stage. K's teacher talked to me about her independence or lack there of... Turns out we have been doing too much for K and so she is uninterested in feeding herself or doing anything without help. Instead she prefers that an adult do everything for her and gets upset if an adult is not nearby. The teacher has had trouble making lunch or going to the bathroom without complete meltdowns from K. I guess she is getting comfy there as she does that at home. We have tantrums when one of us goes to change or she isn't being held all the time.

So today we did less carrying and more holding hands (not a big hit) and even our first time outs to try and end the paper eating. T pointed out that K is going to be the CEO of a paper company.... She loves to hold it and LOVES to eat it... She can't get enough in her mouth. Must be market analysis. Know your product!!!!

It is weird to have to say no, but we are going to have to learn to identify what are needs and wants and which wants we can fulfill.

The drop offs have not gone well this week, let's hope this adjustment period ends soon...

Sleep is still just ok - we have switched to pat downs, but overall it it just ok...

4 comments:

Silicon Valley Moms Group said...

HM, I have been feeling that way about LG too lately. I have definetly started doing less for her since I know she is capable. It sucks when someone else points it out though!

YF said...

Good luck with it all - we are all learning... I call Fi my little experiment.

Lady M said...

Good luck with the independence thing! It's really hard to know when to push them a bit. I think I carry Q too often. Our nanny reminds me to have him walk more - but then he has more opportunities to pick up rocks to eat, etc. Oh well!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the preschool situation but it sounds like K is starting to adjust. Keep us posted on how it goes. Andrew is right there with K on the independence thing (or lack thereof).

I still do stuff like feed Andrew a lot of the time because it's just so much faster and there's less mess to clean up. I guess like it or not we have to let them grow up someday.