Friday, September 19, 2008

DC

The work part of the trip has been fantastic.... Today I spent a few hours at some awesome museums.

I started at the Cocoran Gallery of Art which had a really neat exhibition on by Richard Avedon with all these really interesting portraits of folks... Very cool.

The best museum was my second even though it was rather intense... the Holocaust Museum. They did an incredible job displaying things, from peoples stories through a variety of mediums, a train car for visitors to walk through so you could see what the conditions were like of people being taken to the camps, pictures of lots of things better not to describe, a display of hundred of shoes taken from the Jews and given to Germans, a beautiful exhibit on Darfur to remind visitors of today's genocide. My favorite part was of the end... they had created a theatre made completely out of stones from Jerusalem with a tv interviewing survivors... There was a woman that described losing her friend the morning they found out they were liberated, she died en route to get them both water. On her way back she saw an American man who spoke to her in German, he also was a Jew but was there to liberate them and asked that she show him around. Both of them were in their early 20s and the story ended with them getting married and still being married today. It was a really moving museum!

The last museum I went to was the Phillips Collection, which had loads of beautiful Impressionist pieces and the perfect way to end the museum tour. Excited I saw three new museums.

Last night I got to run in Georgetown after my event which was beautiful. And tonight I am hoping for one more run.

I talked to K and Daddy this morning while they were out on their Starbucks adventure. K wanted to know if I had seen any horses and since I all had been doing was working since getting her I told her no horses, but I am going to NY tomorrow and will see loads there. Her response "New York again." Yes, going to NYC for a girly weekend to see Katie Holmes on Broadway with a CA girlfriend. Very excited about the girly weekend ahead.

No comments: